WWE Has Abandoned Plans To Rename WALTER After A Nazi Commander; Cody Rhodes Fires Shot On AEW DYNAMITE

After the controversy generated by WWE's decision to rename WALTER after a Nazi commander, the company has abandoned the trademark. However, that didn't stop AEW's Cody Rhodes taking a shot during Dynamite...

During Tuesday night's episode of NXT 2.0, WALTER announced to the world that his new name is "Gunther." It didn't take long for fans to figure out this was likely why WWE trademarked "Gunther Stark," and a quick Google search revealed that the Austrian Superstar would soon share a name with a famous Nazi U-boat commander from World War II. 

How WWE didn't pick up on this is hard to say, but the backlash has led to them dropping the trademark filing (as of yesterday). Now, WALTER is simply listed as "Gunther" on the WWE.com roster, so it appears he will continue having only one name moving forward. 

AEW didn't hesitate to take a shot at the competition during last night's Dynamite as Codey Rhodes delivered a blistering promo about the Forbidden Door, his place in the company, and why he won't turn heel.

However, while talking about the way AEW doesn't force wrestlers to change their names, he took a shot at WWE by referring to WALTER as "Gunner McBillabuddy." Fans ate it up, and it was a well-timed dig that actually serves WWE right following the recent "self-mutilation" comments. 

Check out highlights from Rhodes' promo below:
 

WWE Releases 10 NXT 2.0 Superstars And Big Cuts To The Main Roster Are Said To Be Imminent
Related:

WWE Releases 10 NXT 2.0 Superstars And Big Cuts To The Main Roster Are Said To Be Imminent

Nikkita Lyons Shares Sultry NSFW Photos Following Her Widely Talked About NXT 2.0 Debut Last Week
Recommended For You:

Nikkita Lyons Shares Sultry NSFW Photos Following Her Widely Talked About NXT 2.0 Debut Last Week

DISCLAIMER: This post was submitted by a user who has agreed to our Terms of Service and Community Guidelines. As a user-generated content platform, TheRingReport.com and Best Little Sites LLC is protected under the DMCA... [MORE]
Related
WWE Releases 10 NXT 2.0 Superstars And Big Cuts To The Main Roster Are Said To Be Imminent
WWE is more ruthless today than ever before, and 10 NXT 2.0 Superstars, including those actively involved in storylines, were released by the company ahead of what some anticipate to be more main roster cuts.
Nikkita Lyons Shares Sultry NSFW Photos Following Her Widely Talked About NXT 2.0 Debut Last Week
Everyone has been talking about Nikkita Lyons following her amazing NXT 2.0 debut last week, and the WWE Superstar has now taken to Instagram to share some unbelievable photos highlighting her amazing figure.
Austrian Wrestler WALTER Has Been Repacked In NXT 2.0 With Same Name As Nazi Germany Commander
WWE made some sweeping changes to a few NXT 2.0 Superstars during last night's broadcast, but the fact WALTER has been given a new name has generated quite a bit of controversy online. Read on for details...
Here's How Triple H Reportedly Feels After Those Huge NXT Releases This Past Week
WWE has made some sweeping changes to NXT in recent months, and last week, that resulted in a lot of Triple H's old allies being released. Now, we have some backstage news on The Game's reaction to that...
WWE Releases William Regal And More From Triple H's NXT Era; Unhappiness About Bron Breakker's Entrance
WWE has made another series of releases, this time removing those Triple H hired to help him run NXT before the brand lost the Wednesday Night War. There's also bad feeling backstage after Wednesday's 2.0.